[mass noun] A substance, especially cannabis, smoked to produce a drowsy state.
- ‘In the Rif Mountains, large quantities of marijuana, called kif, are grown for profit.’
- ‘Many Middle Eastern and Northern African cultures have used cannabis for sexual purposes in a potent form known as kif as recently as the early 20th Century.’
- ‘The buyer sampled the buds and sniffed at the kif.’
- ‘And in recent times, the medical applications of this venerable herb known severally as grass, weed, pot, cannabis, dope, jay, skunk, kif, or ganja have been documented by reputable professionals.’
- ‘You might also hear the names Aunt Mary, skunk, boom, gangster, kif or ganja.’
Very good (used as a general term of approval):‘that T-shirt's kif’
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstandingView synonyms
- ‘Hey there!! Was really kif meeting you on Friday!!’
- ‘Im 80% sure Im going. Depends on the weather, but the band lineup looks kif!’
Early 19th century: from Arabic kayf enjoyment, well-being.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.