One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus that performs the functions of the human kidney (outside the body), when one or both organs are damaged; an artificial kidney or dialysis machine.
- ‘The kidney had to be removed and for six months his lifeline was a kidney machine before another donor, a 12-year-old boy who had died in a road accident in Belfast, was found.’
- ‘One recipient is a 49-year-old lady who had been 18 months on a kidney machine prior to her transplant.’
- ‘A gastroenterologist, he was the man who invented the first lung and kidney machine for babies.’
- ‘In the past he joined with his employees to donate three medical machines to Waterford Regional Hospital, a heart machine, a kidney machine and one for the treatment of new born babies.’
- ‘In society, membranes allow many communities to benefit from things as varied as clear apple juice, clean water and kidney machines to more cost effective, safer, pharmaceuticals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.