One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus that performs the functions of the human kidney (outside the body), when one or both organs are damaged; an artificial kidney or dialysis machine.
- ‘A gastroenterologist, he was the man who invented the first lung and kidney machine for babies.’
- ‘In the past he joined with his employees to donate three medical machines to Waterford Regional Hospital, a heart machine, a kidney machine and one for the treatment of new born babies.’
- ‘The kidney had to be removed and for six months his lifeline was a kidney machine before another donor, a 12-year-old boy who had died in a road accident in Belfast, was found.’
- ‘In society, membranes allow many communities to benefit from things as varied as clear apple juice, clean water and kidney machines to more cost effective, safer, pharmaceuticals.’
- ‘One recipient is a 49-year-old lady who had been 18 months on a kidney machine prior to her transplant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.