Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus that performs the functions of the human kidney (outside the body), when one or both organs are damaged; an artificial kidney or dialysis machine.
- ‘One recipient is a 49-year-old lady who had been 18 months on a kidney machine prior to her transplant.’
- ‘The kidney had to be removed and for six months his lifeline was a kidney machine before another donor, a 12-year-old boy who had died in a road accident in Belfast, was found.’
- ‘In society, membranes allow many communities to benefit from things as varied as clear apple juice, clean water and kidney machines to more cost effective, safer, pharmaceuticals.’
- ‘In the past he joined with his employees to donate three medical machines to Waterford Regional Hospital, a heart machine, a kidney machine and one for the treatment of new born babies.’
- ‘A gastroenterologist, he was the man who invented the first lung and kidney machine for babies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.