Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A kidney-shaped dish used as a receptacle in an operating theatre or doctor's surgery.
- ‘A stainless steel kidney dish rests lonely on the locker.’
- ‘At 1.21 am a boy swaggers out of the treatment room, holding up his bandaged arm like a grotesque trophy, and holding a cardboard kidney dish underneath to catch the blood.’
- ‘She is told by a condescending manager, ‘Here it is,’ as he unveils a heart in a kidney dish that has been sitting on the desk between them all along.’
- ‘OK, Caroline if I can just get you to hold the kidney dish up against your ear there.’
- ‘We have a kidney dish, and scissors to cut the umbilical cord.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.