One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kidney-shaped bean, especially a dark red one from a dwarf French bean plant.
- ‘The light broth contained onions, red peppers and kidney beans, along with sliced olives and Parmesan to give it some extra interest.’
- ‘The farm, with 350 workers, is converting part of its 2,000-hectare area for conventional crops into land for organic soybeans, corn or kidney beans for export to Japan, Europe or the US.’
- ‘Baked beans, lima beans, navy beans and kidney beans are all good choices.’
- ‘Pears, apples, cranberries, dried fruit, Brussels sprouts, okra, cabbage, carrots and other types of fruit and veg all contain lots of fibre, and so do beans and pulses, such as red kidney beans, broad beans, chickpeas and green lentils.’
- ‘This means I can finally get to use black beans and kidney beans in the recipes of choice.’
- ‘Many enzymes are shaped a little like a knobbly kidney bean, with a cleft in the inner curve.’
- ‘It involved two kinds of beans and one type of wheatberry - cranberry beans, kidney beans and wheatberries.’
- ‘Brown basmati rice and dark red kidney beans combine with fresh fruits and vegetables in this colorful main-dish salad.’
- ‘It came with potatoes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and green beans.’
- ‘Legumes such as lentils, black-eyed peas, soybeans, chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans and black beans are lowfat, filling and loaded with fiber, protein and carbs.’
- ‘Respondents rated the same five legumes (peanuts, kidney beans, split peas, chickpeas and lentils) that they most preferred as also most preferred by clients.’
- ‘The active ingredient in these products is an extract derived from a white kidney bean called Phaseolus vulgaris.’
- ‘I was newly pregnant with my first child, whose embryo was about the size of a kidney bean.’
- ‘You will need: large jar with lid, dried lentils, kidney beans, black beans, split peas or any other kinds of colourful dried beans, ribbon, raffia or twine.’
- ‘If your staple food is kidney beans, try black beans or lentils for a change.’
- ‘In a large pot, sauté onion in oil until soft, then add tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaves, red kidney beans and sugar (optional).’
- ‘Foods that are high in fiber include black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans and many vegetables, such as broccoli and peas.’
- ‘At this time his body was smaller than a kidney bean, and just beginning to form limb buds - his future arms and legs.’
- ‘You can make it with minced beef, lamb, pork or chicken, or even do a veggie version of aubergine, sweet red peppers and red kidney beans.’
- ‘Smarter protein sources for salads are chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans or even marinated tofu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.