One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Die.‘when the old girl finally kicked the bucket there was no mention of yours truly in the will’
- ‘This would be an optimum age to kick the bucket, I feel, as I'd never have to suffer the indignity of reaching 40.’
- ‘He wanted to do his own thing and he wanted to do it now - not down the track when his father finally kicked the bucket.’
- ‘But in spite of the fact, when he kicks the bucket and departs his mortal coil, it is going to be one of the biggest funerals in the Bahamas.’
- ‘I always wanted to have a rich relative who kicked the bucket and left all his money to me.’
- ‘Even though the British Empire had long since kicked the bucket, the expats could still be found pretty much anywhere the Brits had a former colony.’
- ‘The film's title refers to a wish list that two terminally ill men try to fulfill before each kicks the bucket.’
- ‘When rich Americans kick the bucket, they invariably will a good sum to their alma maters, pet charities or research institutions.’
- ‘Heck, I've had 2 dramatically different careers already and am contemplating a good few more before I kick the bucket!’
- ‘I see the old man finally kicked the bucket.’
- ‘If I kick the bucket, half of everything immediately goes to the government, because we're not legally married.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.