One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deep ravine or chasm.‘the town needs a bridge over the khud’
gorge, abyss, canyon, ravine, gully, gulf, pass, defile, couloir, crevasse, cleft, rift, rentView synonyms
- ‘This khud is also the main source of water supply for the town and its adjoining areas.’
- ‘He was washed away when he slipped on the bank of the khud.’
- ‘Three people were killed when a utility vehicle fell into a khud at Lakhu Ghati, near Theog, today.’
- ‘I fell about 4 metres down the khud, and spent the night in this place.’
- ‘The state government has yet to think of having a new bridge over the khud.’
Mid 19th century: from Hindi ḵaḍ.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.