One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indian dish consisting chiefly of rice and split pulses.
- ‘Green leafy vegetables can be given separately or added to dal and khichri, or stuffed in roti or Paratha.’
- ‘Pour hot ghee and cumin seeds over the khichri immediately.’
- ‘Madhur Jaffrey says she has read descriptions of khichri written by travellers to India 1,000 years ago.’
- ‘Kedgeree, originally khichri, is a common Indian dish which was already being described by visitors hundreds of years ago.’
- ‘A little fresh lime juice, squeezed on to a serving of Shahi khichri is refreshing and has a digestive effect.’
From Hindi khichṛī, from Sanskrit khiccā, a dish of rice and sesame.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.