Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A traditional type of song from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, with instrumental accompaniment and typically having two main stanzas.
- ‘The fusion show will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.’
- ‘The khyal form demands improvisational flexibility as well as careful attention to nuances of intonation, phrasing and rhythm.’
- ‘Among the younger generation, there seems to be a broad-based approach with less weight given to aspects like khayal singing.’
- ‘Most khyals and thumris are composed in Braj bhasha, the western literary dialect of Hindi; others in Avadhi, its eastern counterpart, and Punjabi.’
- ‘He composed many classic khayals in major ragas which are sung by exponents of many gharanas today.’
- ‘He brings an emotional element to his large repertoire of khyals, taranas, thumris with artistry that makes a deep impact on the lay and ininitiated listener alike.’
- ‘Essentially, bara and chota khyals are distinguished from each other by the speed at which they are performed.’
- ‘As his rendering of khyals and thumris won him unprecedented popularity, he never looked back as a performer.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it is khyal singing we hear on this record, as performed by the Misra brothers.’
- ‘Joined by his sons on the vocals, plus tablas and droning strings, he performs two khyals and a Pakistani thumri, slightly more uptempo, with rich interplay between the singers.’
- ‘His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.’
- ‘Well-known khayal and thumri singer Shubha Mudgal inaugurated a sound studio here.’
- ‘The khayal style of vocal singing has different schools following different style traditions.’
- ‘If I can present khayals in a more contemporary way, I might be able to spark their interest.’
- ‘She learned the art of khayal singing from her mother who in turn was a disciple of one India's greatest masters.’
- ‘A particular idiosyncrasy of his, which never failed to delight me, was to vigorously rub his bald pate with a white towel between khayals.’
- ‘She has also performed and composed khyals and bhajans and also sings tappa and thumri styles.’
- ‘So Raviji told me to sing short pieces and initially I'd shorten a khayal rendition to a mere 20 minutes.’
- ‘This was a welcome change from the usual devotion and bhakti themes of khyals.’
- ‘The khayals and taranas, bhajans and abhangas in this programme are composed by Shri Hemant Pendse.’
From Hindi khayāl.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.