Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A traditional type of song from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, with instrumental accompaniment and typically having two main stanzas.
- ‘Joined by his sons on the vocals, plus tablas and droning strings, he performs two khyals and a Pakistani thumri, slightly more uptempo, with rich interplay between the singers.’
- ‘If I can present khayals in a more contemporary way, I might be able to spark their interest.’
- ‘His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.’
- ‘This was a welcome change from the usual devotion and bhakti themes of khyals.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it is khyal singing we hear on this record, as performed by the Misra brothers.’
- ‘A particular idiosyncrasy of his, which never failed to delight me, was to vigorously rub his bald pate with a white towel between khayals.’
- ‘He composed many classic khayals in major ragas which are sung by exponents of many gharanas today.’
- ‘Well-known khayal and thumri singer Shubha Mudgal inaugurated a sound studio here.’
- ‘The fusion show will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.’
- ‘She learned the art of khayal singing from her mother who in turn was a disciple of one India's greatest masters.’
- ‘Among the younger generation, there seems to be a broad-based approach with less weight given to aspects like khayal singing.’
- ‘So Raviji told me to sing short pieces and initially I'd shorten a khayal rendition to a mere 20 minutes.’
- ‘The khayal style of vocal singing has different schools following different style traditions.’
- ‘As his rendering of khyals and thumris won him unprecedented popularity, he never looked back as a performer.’
- ‘She has also performed and composed khyals and bhajans and also sings tappa and thumri styles.’
- ‘Most khyals and thumris are composed in Braj bhasha, the western literary dialect of Hindi; others in Avadhi, its eastern counterpart, and Punjabi.’
- ‘The khayals and taranas, bhajans and abhangas in this programme are composed by Shri Hemant Pendse.’
- ‘Essentially, bara and chota khyals are distinguished from each other by the speed at which they are performed.’
- ‘He brings an emotional element to his large repertoire of khyals, taranas, thumris with artistry that makes a deep impact on the lay and ininitiated listener alike.’
- ‘The khyal form demands improvisational flexibility as well as careful attention to nuances of intonation, phrasing and rhythm.’
From Hindi khayāl.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.