One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional type of song from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, with instrumental accompaniment and typically having two main stanzas.
- ‘She learned the art of khayal singing from her mother who in turn was a disciple of one India's greatest masters.’
- ‘Among the younger generation, there seems to be a broad-based approach with less weight given to aspects like khayal singing.’
- ‘This was a welcome change from the usual devotion and bhakti themes of khyals.’
- ‘The fusion show will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.’
- ‘As his rendering of khyals and thumris won him unprecedented popularity, he never looked back as a performer.’
- ‘His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.’
- ‘So Raviji told me to sing short pieces and initially I'd shorten a khayal rendition to a mere 20 minutes.’
- ‘Joined by his sons on the vocals, plus tablas and droning strings, he performs two khyals and a Pakistani thumri, slightly more uptempo, with rich interplay between the singers.’
- ‘She has also performed and composed khyals and bhajans and also sings tappa and thumri styles.’
- ‘The khyal form demands improvisational flexibility as well as careful attention to nuances of intonation, phrasing and rhythm.’
- ‘If I can present khayals in a more contemporary way, I might be able to spark their interest.’
- ‘Well-known khayal and thumri singer Shubha Mudgal inaugurated a sound studio here.’
- ‘Essentially, bara and chota khyals are distinguished from each other by the speed at which they are performed.’
- ‘He brings an emotional element to his large repertoire of khyals, taranas, thumris with artistry that makes a deep impact on the lay and ininitiated listener alike.’
- ‘Most khyals and thumris are composed in Braj bhasha, the western literary dialect of Hindi; others in Avadhi, its eastern counterpart, and Punjabi.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it is khyal singing we hear on this record, as performed by the Misra brothers.’
- ‘The khayal style of vocal singing has different schools following different style traditions.’
- ‘He composed many classic khayals in major ragas which are sung by exponents of many gharanas today.’
- ‘A particular idiosyncrasy of his, which never failed to delight me, was to vigorously rub his bald pate with a white towel between khayals.’
- ‘The khayals and taranas, bhajans and abhangas in this programme are composed by Shri Hemant Pendse.’
From Hindi khayāl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.