One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) the autumn crop sown at the beginning of the summer rains.
- ‘He said the delay in monsoon had adversely affected all kharif crops, particularly bajra.’
- ‘Bountiful showers across the Indo-Gangetic plains have raised hopes of a rebound in kharif agricultural output.’
- ‘Of course, we had a good monsoon, resulting in a good kharif output.’
- ‘The area under sugarcane in the current kharif season has increased by 336,000 ha to 4.085 million ha as compared with 3.749 million ha in the previous year.’
- ‘The rain is expected to give some respite to the withering kharif crops and orchards in Himachal.’
- ‘There has been a stunted growth of various kharif crops and in certain parts the crop has withered.’
- ‘And now when they have been praying for dry weather so that they can harvest their kharif crop and take it to grain markets, heavy rains are wreaking havoc.’
- ‘They gave wheat, barley and mustard at the time of the rabi and at the time of kharif, rice, pulses, beans, salt and chillies were collected.’
- ‘The seriousness of the situation can be gauged from the fact that cultivation has been completed in only 70 per cent of the targeted land during the kharif season against 85 per cent last year.’
- ‘The monsoon, which has been eluding Punjab so far and has affected kharif crops, has brought the afforestation drive in the state to a halt.’
- ‘The prospects of normal growth of paddy, cotton and other kharif crops brightened after two hours of heavy rain that lashed this region yesterday.’
- ‘Sonepat city and its adjoining areas received 43 mm of rain during the past 24 hours improving the prospects of kharif crops including the paddy in the district.’
- ‘With a good monsoon, the kharif crop was buoyant and rabi is also expected to do well, going by the meteorological department's forecast of a prolonged winter.’
- ‘The practice of green-manuring during kharif is also popular before sowing wheat in Rabi.’
- ‘Farmers who had already lost their last rabi crops due to the scanty rainfall are now losing their kharif crops, which have been badly damaged due to non arrival of rains.’
- ‘The sowing for the kharif season is slowly but steadily picking up in this agriculturally intensive district, thanks to the reasonably good south west monsoon so far.’
- ‘A survey has been ordered by the Delhi Government to assess the damage to kharif crop and vegetables due to the drought-like situation in the Capital.’
- ‘Subhash Dagar of Sagarpur village claimed that the rains would be helpful in reviving nearly all the kharif crops, including sugarcane, paddy, bajra, jowar and pulses.’
- ‘The last two quarters, when the kharif crop estimates come in, are more important for measuring expansion in the agriculture sector.’
- ‘He pointed out that he had never seen such a situation where in the month of July, a crucial period for kharif crops, the rains failed absolutely in Punjab.’
Persian and Urdu, from Arabic ḵarīf ‘autumn, autumnal rain’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.