One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a section of the Mongolian people, constituting the bulk of the population of Mongolia.
- ‘Instead of three requests, he had only one, supported by the Dalai Lama: the return of the seven Khalkhas to their original lands.’
- ‘When the Khalkhas refused to submit to the Jungarians Galdan resolved to add them to his empire by force.’
- ‘Friends and relatives at home slaughtered horse, stew mutton, and they used the Khalkhas most solemn etiquette to receive their loved ones who returned from foreign countries.’
- ‘About nine of every ten Mongolians are Khalkhas, ethnic Mongols who speak Khalkha.’
- ‘Nuolaozi Festival is a grand festival of Khalkhas, which is held in the first month of each lunar year.’
- ‘Both programs, requiring high skills and courage, reflect the prowess and courage of the Khalkhas.’
- ‘A major civil war occurred from 1400 to 1450 between two main groups, the Khalkha in the east and the Oirad in the west.’
- ‘In 1688 the hardpressed Khalkha appealed to the Manchus for aid.’
- ‘The Uzumchins and Darigangas are fond of coral ornaments, while the Khalkhas prefer gold ornaments, silver ornaments, and pearls.’
- ‘The court then tried to exacerbate the divisions among the Khalkhas by appointing new and more Khans, each with equivalent powers and with small groups to lead.’
2mass noun The language of the Khalkha, a demotic form of Mongolian adopted as the official language of Mongolia.
Relating to the Khalkha or their language.
- ‘Buryat and Khalkha archery have many women competitors.’
- ‘The modern country of Mongolia is comprised of a large majority of Khalkha Mongols.’
- ‘The Khalkha women are adept at handicraft such as embroidery, carpet and mural production.’
- ‘Approximately 78 percent of the people are Khalkha Mongols.’
- ‘He was a Khalkha Mongol, who formerly headed a ministry in Mongolia.’
- ‘Although most Mongols now live in cities, there remains a large population of Khalkha Mongol nomads.’
Of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.