One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a section of the Mongolian people, constituting the bulk of the population of Mongolia.
- ‘Instead of three requests, he had only one, supported by the Dalai Lama: the return of the seven Khalkhas to their original lands.’
- ‘The Uzumchins and Darigangas are fond of coral ornaments, while the Khalkhas prefer gold ornaments, silver ornaments, and pearls.’
- ‘In 1688 the hardpressed Khalkha appealed to the Manchus for aid.’
- ‘About nine of every ten Mongolians are Khalkhas, ethnic Mongols who speak Khalkha.’
- ‘Nuolaozi Festival is a grand festival of Khalkhas, which is held in the first month of each lunar year.’
- ‘The court then tried to exacerbate the divisions among the Khalkhas by appointing new and more Khans, each with equivalent powers and with small groups to lead.’
- ‘A major civil war occurred from 1400 to 1450 between two main groups, the Khalkha in the east and the Oirad in the west.’
- ‘Friends and relatives at home slaughtered horse, stew mutton, and they used the Khalkhas most solemn etiquette to receive their loved ones who returned from foreign countries.’
- ‘When the Khalkhas refused to submit to the Jungarians Galdan resolved to add them to his empire by force.’
- ‘Both programs, requiring high skills and courage, reflect the prowess and courage of the Khalkhas.’
2mass noun The language of the Khalkha, a demotic form of Mongolian adopted as the official language of Mongolia.
Relating to the Khalkha or their language.
- ‘The modern country of Mongolia is comprised of a large majority of Khalkha Mongols.’
- ‘Approximately 78 percent of the people are Khalkha Mongols.’
- ‘He was a Khalkha Mongol, who formerly headed a ministry in Mongolia.’
- ‘Buryat and Khalkha archery have many women competitors.’
- ‘Although most Mongols now live in cities, there remains a large population of Khalkha Mongol nomads.’
- ‘The Khalkha women are adept at handicraft such as embroidery, carpet and mural production.’
Of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.