One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a manual worker, especially a docker, porter, or sailor.
worker, factory worker, manual worker, unskilled worker, blue-collar worker, workman, workwoman, workperson, working man, labourer, operative, hired hand, hireling, roustabout, employee, artisanView synonyms
- ‘Quietly, the khalasis, the fisher people and the boatmen had deployed their expertise to the rescue operation, took the lead on their own where no one else could help them.’
- ‘On receiving the information, the Dhauliganga project team comprising khalasis and workmen rushed to help.’
- ‘And at the lowest level, helpers or attendants functioning as bungalow peons might be eventually absorbed into regular service as khalasis and helpers.’
- ‘There are business visitors, truck drivers and their khalasis, migrant labour and police personnel.’
- ‘Every night the khalasi walked through the dark tunnel and then stood outside to wave his lamp to the oncoming train as a signal that the track was clear.’
From Urdu ḵalāṣī, ḵalāšī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.