Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An Indian homespun cotton cloth.[as modifier] ‘her plain khadi sari’
- ‘The same worker who is involved in making khadi can be utilised much more efficiently in the modern textile industry, which is a lot more profitable.’
- ‘And this frail woman in her khadi sari worked till she was 80, gracefully living with her Parsi daughter-in-law, always encouraging her and admiring her for what she did.’
- ‘The mobile unit would serve to take khadi textiles and other rural products to the people.’
- ‘At a time when rural unemployment is high, weavers of fine khadi in Andhra Pradesh are turning away from traditional weaving and spinning, all for lack of proper support.’
- ‘Once a dull, coarse material, today khadi is a multicolored wonder fabric with weaves as fine as muslin.’
- ‘He said the institutions engaged in khadi production received a boost when Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister.’
- ‘Also, only cotton, silk, wool or khadi can be used.’
- ‘The other themes of the show, revolved around food, wildlife, forces of nature, drapes, traditional arts and crafts, khadi and denim.’
- ‘Clay dolls, terra cotta items, khadi, handloom saris and dress materials are on display.’
- ‘When one uses khadi clothes and other products marketed by khadi industries, one is supporting the spirit of freedom and nationality.’
- ‘It's good to see such great person dressed in khaddar.’
- ‘That was the kind of cloth Gandhi wanted to be replaced by our own homespun khadi.’
- ‘He was as usual immaculately dressed in crisp white khadi cotton.’
- ‘The cloth preferred for this is the home-spun, locally-woven and dyed khadi.’
- ‘It looks as if the revival of khadi is well on its way - in the next year, nine more designer Khadi stores are planned in Delhi, and outside.’
- ‘The company comes out with products purely based on hand spun cloth or khadi.’
- ‘With the introduction of khadi and the spinning wheel by Gandhiji, there was a big turnabout in the financial affairs of the British eventually leading to their downfall.’
- ‘The khadi campaigners hope that the humble fabric will serve as the rallying force for awakening an entire nation, once again.’
- ‘The Tusser silk and khadi silk saris are also in good demand here.’
- ‘The same khadi fabric can make you feel cool in summer and warm in winter.’
From Punjabi, from Hindi khādī.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.