One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slot cut in a part of a machine or an electrical connector, to ensure correct orientation with another part which is fitted with a key.
- ‘A diagram of the keys and keyways is available to identify the match to your padlock.’
- ‘Using a key inserted three quarters the way into the keyway usually works best in turning out the cylinder.’
- ‘The integral lock is present, its keyway sitting atop the current style cylinder latch.’
- ‘Dowels capture the gears, while keyways align with holes in the spacer.’
- ‘These wheels were purchased preassembled, with keyways already cut into the hubs.’
- ‘They rebuild engines and transmissions, work on air conditioning units, repair hydraulics, turn crankshafts, cut keyways, fabricate metal truck boxes, and even extend truck frames.’
- ‘You just put the key into the keyway, turn it and the gun cannot be fired.’
- ‘Stuck because someone glued a matchstick into the keyway with epoxy resin?’
- ‘We now offer stepped bore rigid couplings with standard keyways in each bore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.