Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A single depression of a key on a keyboard, especially as a measure of work.
- ‘Spyware has the ability to trace your every keystroke, and may record things such as passwords, credit card numbers, email addresses, and other personal information.’
- ‘He can read your keystrokes, record passwords, gather information from your network and change your data and files.’
- ‘I thought your readers might like to have this routine, which reduces the number of keystrokes needed to key dates.’
- ‘With a single keystroke, she erases his name from the title page and substitutes her own, before she sends it off.’
- ‘He was also able to train the software on one keyboard to decipher the keystrokes on any other keyboard of the same make and model.’
- ‘A keylogger is a form of malware program that installs itself surreptitiously, records keystrokes made on the infected computer and sends this data to hackers.’
- ‘They can not only take all of your money, but destroy your entire life with a single keystroke.’
- ‘They capture everything the user is doing - keystrokes, mouse clicks, files opened and closed, sites visited.’
- ‘Entering in the full address costs 12 to 18 keystrokes and a mouse click.’
- ‘The fingers are normally in motion towards more than a single keystroke simultaneously; as one finger approaches its target another is moving to operate the next key.’
- ‘The malware records passwords and keystrokes once users of infected machines visit targeted websites.’
- ‘This system was difficult to use because store employees needed to remember arcane instructions and enter a lot of keystrokes.’
- ‘This inexpensive software has the ability to invisibly monitor and record all computer activity including keystrokes.’
- ‘Four additional keystrokes duplicate the functions of the arrow keys.’
- ‘More recent viruses and blended threats also extract passwords, decryption keys and logged keystrokes.’
- ‘The researchers extracted audio features from the sounds of a user's keystrokes and lumped similar sounding keys into categories.’
- ‘A spyware program will record every keystroke and e-mail as well as every web page you visit and every chat session.’
- ‘Detecting the user's keystrokes turns out to be a rather specialised branch of event handling.’
- ‘If it is true that all my keystrokes can be recorded?’
- ‘These applications collect user surfing patterns and sometimes keystrokes and send the information to servers to target advertising to users' desktops.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.