One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small plastic card, sometimes used instead of a door key in hotels, bearing magnetically encoded data that can be read and processed by an electronic device.
- ‘They finally got to the room, and he put the card key in the lock.’
- ‘I opened the door with his key card and stepped inside.’
- ‘Jonti instructed him to take the luggage out of the trunk and I went in to get our card key.’
- ‘The card key she receives at the front desk isn't actually for a room, but for the hotel's pool.’
- ‘Look for hotels with electronic key cards, which are reprogrammed for each new guest.’
- ‘I headed into the hotel anyway, using the key card in my pocket to open the door.’
- ‘Taking my purse, I stuffed into it my card key and plane ticket.’
- ‘Before I left the station, I got my card key and closed the locker.’
- ‘They both watched the man who stepped out as he locked the door, put the key card in his pocket, glanced at them briefly, then walked to the elevators.’
- ‘When the card key is removed, the controlled circuits remain energized for 30 sec. to allow safe egress from the room.’
- ‘He watched as she swiped the card key through the security lock of the door.’
- ‘I picked up the card key for the room my friends and I had rented for that night and headed out.’
- ‘When she reached the door she inserted the card key and pulled it back.’
- ‘Access to all the apartments and bedrooms is via electronic key cards.’
- ‘Jessica couldn't wait to get out of the shoes as she quickly slid her key card into the little slot to open her hotel door.’
- ‘At Barnhart and Riley Halls, outside door key cards are issued in place of outside door keys.’
- ‘Robyn unlocked their room with a card key and walked inside, snapping on lights and claiming the first visible bed as her own.’
- ‘Besides their potential role in identity theft and unauthorized purchases, the key cards can get up to other mischief.’
- ‘Only authorized staff are allowed through double door manlocks, which are monitored by key cards and video surveillance.’
- ‘Electronic key cards must be authorized by the cognizant dean, director, and department head.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.