One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metabolic state characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body tissues, which is typically pathological in conditions such as diabetes, or may be the consequence of a diet that is very low in carbohydrates.‘three patients developed mild ketosis, which was promptly and successfully treated with subcutaneous insulin’
- ‘At diagnosis the affected child may present with weight loss, ketosis, and acidosis.’
- ‘The real danger in ketosis is that ketones are acidic, and high levels of ketones make the blood abnormally acid.’
- ‘Three key features of diabetic acidosis are hyperglycemia, ketosis, and acidosis.’
- ‘Most authorities recommend that patients with diabetes be given about 5 g of glucose per hour for basal energy requirements and to prevent hypoglycemia, ketosis, and protein breakdown during surgery.’
- ‘The urine ketone dip test was highly sensitive for diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic ketosis with or without acidosis.’
Early 20th century: from ketone + -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.