Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The excretion of abnormally large amounts of ketone bodies in the urine, characteristic of diabetes mellitus, starvation, or other medical conditions.
- ‘Despite giving himself an increased dose he soon developed hyperglycaemia and ketonuria.’
- ‘Glucose toxicity, which is exhibited as a fasting plasma glucose level greater than 250 mg per dL, and ketonuria, weight loss, or symptomatic hyperglycemia, can be addressed promptly with insulin therapy.’
- ‘This is generally indicated if the patient is clearly unwell, if she has ketonuria, or if her blood glucose concentration is > 20 mmol/l.’
- ‘She had normal thyroid function, ketonuria, and mild diffuse ST-T wave changes.’
- ‘Baseline assessments of height, weight, blood pressure, urinary specific gravity, and ketonuria were obtained.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.