One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The production of ketone bodies during the metabolism of fats.‘deficiencies in this enzyme lead to reduced fatty acid oxidation and ketogenesis’
- ‘Ketogenesis takes place primarily in the liver and may by affected by several factors:’
- ‘When insulin levels are sufficiently low to permit ketone-body production, increased glucagon levels further stimulate ketogenesis.’
- ‘Fasting, or actually carbohydrate restriction, works principally through reduced insulin levels and elevated free fatty acid levels, which foster ketogenesis.’
- ‘However, in human starvation (or in the setting of diet-induced ketogenesis), the body "keto-adapts" and glucose requirements of most tissues drop to almost nil.’
- ‘A diet extremely high in protein and fat with very little carbohydrate intake may induce ketogenesis.’
Early 20th century: from ketone + genesis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.