One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used as an anaesthetic and analgesic drug and also (illicitly) as a hallucinogen.
Chemical formula: C₁₃H₁₆NOCl
- ‘Preoperative haemorrhage and hypotension are contraindications to spinal anaesthesia, and ketamine is used in only severely ill women.’
- ‘Researchers found more and more users are turning to ketamine, a veterinary anaesthetic with strong hallucinogenic properties.’
- ‘Among these drugs, ketamine is particularly noteworthy because it is commonly administered in multiple ways.’
- ‘The number of arrests involving the party drug ketamine has more than doubled in a year and offenders appear to be getting younger.’
- ‘We reported that a large proportion of users did not combine ketamine with other drugs.’
- ‘Despite high doses of intravenous morphine and ketamine, the pain was unbearable.’
- ‘Recent trends have favored the use of medications such as etomidate and ketamine, while familiar agents such as fentanyl and mid-azolam continue to be used widely.’
- ‘Most dangerously, anaesthetics and tranquillisers such as ketamine may also be added to ecstasy tablets.’
- ‘Chloral hydrate, midazolam and ketamine are frequently used for sedation, but each has drawbacks.’
- ‘In other words, ketamine was the drug of choice for a number of users during a specific drug injection event.’
- ‘General anesthesia was induced with ketamine and xylazine, and maintained with ketamine.’
- ‘The three most popular drugs consumed in discos in Shenzhen were ketamine, ecstasy and cannabis.’
- ‘In particular, the barbiturates, ketamine, and propofol are often reserved for deep sedation/general anesthesia and should be used with caution.’
- ‘Interestingly, many abusers of ketamine report that the drug's effects are dependent upon the setting within which it is abused.’
- ‘As a pharmaceutical, ketamine is distributed in a liquid form that can be ingested or injected.’
- ‘Ketamine is injected intramuscularly, and as this leaves no visible traces of blood, the group that uses ketamine tends not to clean their needles.’
- ‘Hong Kong customs agents have made a record seizure of the party drug ketamine and arrested four Singaporeans and three Malaysians.’
- ‘Firstly, ketamine is not just a veterinary anaesthetic but is still available in most operating theatres.’
- ‘Operations were undertaken using ketamine and midazolam for anaesthesia.’
- ‘The study included 41 healthy subjects who were given amphetamine, ketamine and then saline, in varying sequence.’
1960s: blend of ketone and amine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.