One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The surgical reshaping of the cornea, carried out in order to correct a refractive error.
- ‘The report provides information on the safety and effectiveness of four types of refractive eye surgery: radial keratotomy, photorefractive keratectomy, laser in situ keratomileusis and intraocular lenses.’
- ‘After two patients who underwent laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis in the same facility developed keratitis caused by Mycobacterium szulgai, a retrospective control study was conducted.’
- ‘The laser in-situ keratomileusis procedure uses an excimer laser to make a thin flap in the cornea and etch away a predetermined pattern of tissue beneath the flap.’
- ‘From the 1940s to the 1970s, different techniques in keratomileusis evolved in surgical alteration of the cornea.’
- ‘About two million people in the United States have opted for laser-assisted intrastromal keratomileusis eye surgery.’
1990s: from kerato- + Greek smileusis ‘carving’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.