Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Change or become changed into a form containing keratin.[with object] ‘the products of the epidermal line are ultimately keratinized’[no object] ‘the cells keratinize under oestrogenic action’
- ‘Earliest changes in the hair follicle occur when the follicular canal becomes blocked with abnormally keratinized desquamating cells.’
- ‘Tumors that arise distally below the dentate line are typically keratinizing squamous cell cancers.’
- ‘The stratum corneum, the top layer, is composed of dead keratinized cells.’
- ‘When oestrogen levels are high the epithelial cells become keratinized or cornified, an effect reversed by progesterone.’
- ‘Amphibian skin thus appears to have limited options for waterproofing, because it is thin, poorly keratinized, and therefore supple.’
Late 19th century: from Greek keratinos horny + -ize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.