Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Change or become changed into a form containing keratin.with object ‘the products of the epidermal line are ultimately keratinized’no object ‘the cells keratinize under oestrogenic action’
- ‘Tumors that arise distally below the dentate line are typically keratinizing squamous cell cancers.’
- ‘Earliest changes in the hair follicle occur when the follicular canal becomes blocked with abnormally keratinized desquamating cells.’
- ‘Amphibian skin thus appears to have limited options for waterproofing, because it is thin, poorly keratinized, and therefore supple.’
- ‘When oestrogen levels are high the epithelial cells become keratinized or cornified, an effect reversed by progesterone.’
- ‘The stratum corneum, the top layer, is composed of dead keratinized cells.’
Late 19th century: from Greek keratinos ‘horny’ + -ize.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.