One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual horse race for three-year-olds at Louisville, Kentucky. First held in 1875, it is the oldest horse race in the US.
- ‘Trainer Vladimir Cerin, who employed Antley early this year to ride Archer City Slew, a colt then considered a Kentucky Derby prospect, spoke of the jockey's compassion for other people and for the horses he rode.’
- ‘Mr. Stronach thought this was a perfect situation to acquire the breeding rights to a fantastic horse - a Kentucky Derby winner - who is an outcross for the Northern Dancer and Mr. Prospector lines.’
- ‘The all-time record for victories at a Kentucky Derby meeting is 27, set by A. J. Foyt Jr. during the extended spring-summer meeting of 1984.’
- ‘To be a man who owned a World Series champion and the winner of a Kentucky Derby would be smashing, but not unprecedented.’
- ‘An admired horse breeder, he dreams of rearing a Kentucky Derby winner; he has already had success with Mayan King.’
- ‘In 2001, John Ward trained Monarchos to a Kentucky Derby victory for the Oxleys.’
- ‘Arden preferred to buy thoroughbred horses, and had a Kentucky Derby winner in 1947.’
- ‘But it took a little while, as Chambers didn't break from the gate like a Kentucky Derby thoroughbred.’
- ‘In Tony James, a feisty two-year-old, Brittain believes he has the makings of a Kentucky Derby horse for Tony Richards, who owned Bold Arrangement.’
- ‘He said that for all of Frankel's success, there has been one glaring void in his record: he hadn't won a Kentucky Derby.’
- ‘Asked in an interview in the New York Daily News what he would like to accomplish in sports that he has not already, Steinbrenner replied: ‘Probably win a Kentucky Derby.’’
- ‘The McPeeks come to this magic day with Harlan's Holiday, a chestnut colt, winner of its last two races, the favorite in this Kentucky Derby.’
- ‘Hal's Hope stamped himself as a Kentucky Derby hopeful when he scored an upset victory in the Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park in March.’
- ‘Hall of Famer John Longden, the only jockey to ride and train a Kentucky Derby winner, died on February 14 at age 96.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.