One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual horse race for three-year-olds at Louisville, Kentucky. First held in 1875, it is the oldest horse race in the US.
- ‘An admired horse breeder, he dreams of rearing a Kentucky Derby winner; he has already had success with Mayan King.’
- ‘Asked in an interview in the New York Daily News what he would like to accomplish in sports that he has not already, Steinbrenner replied: ‘Probably win a Kentucky Derby.’’
- ‘Mr. Stronach thought this was a perfect situation to acquire the breeding rights to a fantastic horse - a Kentucky Derby winner - who is an outcross for the Northern Dancer and Mr. Prospector lines.’
- ‘Hal's Hope stamped himself as a Kentucky Derby hopeful when he scored an upset victory in the Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park in March.’
- ‘He said that for all of Frankel's success, there has been one glaring void in his record: he hadn't won a Kentucky Derby.’
- ‘The all-time record for victories at a Kentucky Derby meeting is 27, set by A. J. Foyt Jr. during the extended spring-summer meeting of 1984.’
- ‘Arden preferred to buy thoroughbred horses, and had a Kentucky Derby winner in 1947.’
- ‘In Tony James, a feisty two-year-old, Brittain believes he has the makings of a Kentucky Derby horse for Tony Richards, who owned Bold Arrangement.’
- ‘But it took a little while, as Chambers didn't break from the gate like a Kentucky Derby thoroughbred.’
- ‘Hall of Famer John Longden, the only jockey to ride and train a Kentucky Derby winner, died on February 14 at age 96.’
- ‘To be a man who owned a World Series champion and the winner of a Kentucky Derby would be smashing, but not unprecedented.’
- ‘The McPeeks come to this magic day with Harlan's Holiday, a chestnut colt, winner of its last two races, the favorite in this Kentucky Derby.’
- ‘In 2001, John Ward trained Monarchos to a Kentucky Derby victory for the Oxleys.’
- ‘Trainer Vladimir Cerin, who employed Antley early this year to ride Archer City Slew, a colt then considered a Kentucky Derby prospect, spoke of the jockey's compassion for other people and for the horses he rode.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.