One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salmon or sea trout after spawning and before returning to the sea.
- ‘It is sometimes claimed large trout caught in February are being illegally taken as kelts.’
- ‘Smaller fish and kelt must be thrown back immediately.’
- ‘If I have kept abreast of the frequent developments on the Tay, then you may not fish with bait early in the season to limit the damage done to kelts before they return, and this is only good sense.’
- ‘They have enjoyed eating pike, dace, salmon kelt, trout and lots of perch.’
- ‘A number of kelts have recently been caught on the Yorkshire Ouse system.’
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.