One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exercises performed to strengthen a woman's pelvic floor muscles.
- ‘Kegel exercises, in which you strengthen your pelvic floor muscles by contracting them, are the best treatment for stress incontinence, says Hudson, a naturopath.’
- ‘Ask your doctor to tell you about Kegel exercises.’
- ‘She recommends adding Kegel exercises - contractions of the muscles that control urine flow - to your regular strength-training program.’
- ‘Exercises include pelvic floor muscle contraction and relaxation (Kegel exercises) to improve voluntary control.’
- ‘Vitamin E can help, as can Kegel exercises, which help restore elasticity.’
- ‘Pelvic floor exercises (also known Kegel exercises) are the best way to help strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.’
- ‘Muscle toning that affect the grip of the vagina on the penis during intercourse can be improved through regular Kegel exercises.’
- ‘The most common are the basic Kegel exercises, which involve contracting your pelvic-floor muscles.’
- ‘This should be performed in conjunction with Kegel exercises.’
- ‘Once you have learned to isolate those muscles, perform Kegel exercises (contracting the muscles) in five sets of 10 per day to strengthen them.’
- ‘These sites give details about Kegel exercises that are supposed to strengthen the muscles down there.’
- ‘Although studies of Kegel exercises address only their effectiveness in managing urinary incontinence, the exercises were proposed originally as a way to strengthen pelvic support.’
- ‘Kegel exercises are very effective in helping incontinence.’
- ‘Could you please comment on the utility of Kegel exercises in helping incontinence?’
- ‘Women who leak urine may have better control of these muscles by doing pelvic muscle exercises called Kegel exercises.’
- ‘Kegel exercises have long been recommended for women with urinary incontinence or women looking to strengthen their pelvic muscles following childbirth.’
- ‘Often used by practitioners of tantric sex as a way of retaining their precious bodily fluids during orgasm, Kegel exercises are thought to increase sexual sensation.’
- ‘If you have weak pelvic floor muscles, your doctor might want you to do special exercises called Kegel exercises.’
- ‘Friedman disclosed the secret to a better sex life: Kegel exercises.’
- ‘Sessions included education about urinary tract structure and function, development of individualized voiding schedules, and instruction on Kegel exercises.’
1950s: named after the US physician Dr Arnold Kegel (1894–1976), who developed the exercises.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.