One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Refrain or prevent others from disturbing civil order.‘the police must play a crucial role in keeping the peace’
- ‘He's said nice, placatory things, and he's kept the peace, but we need more than that to drive the country forward.’
- ‘I mean, they are experts in security and keeping the peace.’
- ‘She is a very level-headed, capable person and is good at keeping the peace.’
- ‘Well, first of all, let's remember that mutual deterrence and arms control has kept the peace for 50 years.’
- ‘I compromised my own self in order to keep the peace and stave off confrontation.’
- ‘It is the program that kept the peace for six years.’
- ‘When I was a kid, the police in my town mostly kept the peace.’
- ‘It is regrettable if she was upset by the incident, but the action was taken in the interests of keeping the peace.’
- ‘Of the utmost importance to them here is keeping the peace.’
- ‘Occasionally, we may have to lend practical support for keeping the peace and protecting life and liberty in the face of internal and external aggression.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.