One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Refrain or prevent others from disturbing civil order.‘the police must play a crucial role in keeping the peace’
- ‘He's said nice, placatory things, and he's kept the peace, but we need more than that to drive the country forward.’
- ‘I compromised my own self in order to keep the peace and stave off confrontation.’
- ‘When I was a kid, the police in my town mostly kept the peace.’
- ‘She is a very level-headed, capable person and is good at keeping the peace.’
- ‘It is the program that kept the peace for six years.’
- ‘It is regrettable if she was upset by the incident, but the action was taken in the interests of keeping the peace.’
- ‘I mean, they are experts in security and keeping the peace.’
- ‘Well, first of all, let's remember that mutual deterrence and arms control has kept the peace for 50 years.’
- ‘Occasionally, we may have to lend practical support for keeping the peace and protecting life and liberty in the face of internal and external aggression.’
- ‘Of the utmost importance to them here is keeping the peace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.