One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Keep someone in an uncertain position.‘he was kept dangling—offered a place in the team and then dropped’
- ‘Instead of working to build a stable, loving, fun and well-rounded relationship, he's keeping you dangling.’
- ‘It need not diminish our respect for him because he was kept dangling two years in England by suggestions of another appointment.’
- ‘That would be the healthiest thing to do for all involved - no need to force Martin to make a decision, and no need to keep Kathy dangling in hopes of a possible relationship.’
- ‘I keep you dangling between belief and disbelief by turns, and I don't mind admitting that I have a reason for it.’
- ‘A Russian mission in Cairo is keeping him dangling over how much responsibility they are willing to assume in building the Aswan High Dam.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.