One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not say anything, especially not reveal a secret.‘would he keep his mouth shut under interrogation?’
say nothing, keep quiet, not breathe a word, not tell a soul, not give the game away, keep it under one's hatView synonyms
- ‘If I had kept my mouth shut then I would probably not have had all this hassle.’
- ‘You kept your mouth shut or you were killed.’
- ‘I kept my mouth shut on the advice of my attorneys.’
- ‘I've kept my mouth shut through all of this stuff.’
- ‘I have respect for someone that gets caught and keeps his mouth shut.’
- ‘He didn't want to say anything, so he kept his mouth shut.’
- ‘Don't sign anything, keep your mouth shut, and remember that we never had this conversation.’
- ‘I now regret the entire business and wish I'd kept my mouth shut.’
- ‘I've kept my mouth shut about this until now, as it's not very pleasant.’
- ‘I could have kept my mouth shut but I felt I needed to speak out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.