One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Do the cooking, cleaning, and other tasks involved in the running of a household.‘a young girl named Roxie came over to keep house for him’
- ‘I have been instructing her in all the basic cooking and keeping house ways.’
- ‘She cooks, keeps house, dispenses food and kindness and runs the Lodge single-handed.’
- ‘My mother kept house economically and cooked all the meals herself.’
- ‘She keeps house for all of them and bears their children too.’
- ‘Well, our kids were grown and I was really tired of keeping house.’
- ‘So the one who had attended private school kept house while the one who could barely read ruled it.’
- ‘All he said was that he was brought up to believe that the man went to work and the woman kept house.’
- ‘The beneficiary of all this motorized magic was nearly every American who cleans or keeps house.’
- ‘His kinswoman, the daughter of his half-sister, kept house for a painter who preferred his familiar environment, his familiar accessories and his familiar models, and used them again and again.’
- ‘Girls learned how to cook and clean and keep house against the day that they might someday be wed to a wealthy man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.