The quality of being eager or enthusiastic; eagerness.‘he has expressed his keenness to retain his job’
eagerness, willingness, readiness, desire, wish, anxiety, impatiencesharpness, razor-sharpnessacuteness, sharpness, sensitivity, perceptiveness, discrimination, clarityacuity, sharpness, subtlety, incisiveness, astuteness, perspicacity, perceptiveness, quick-wittedness, sharp-wittedness, shrewdness, penetration, insight, cleverness, discernment, intelligence, brightness, brilliance, canniness, sagacityincisiveness, causticity, tartness, sharpness, mordancy, acidity, acerbity, trenchancy, pungency, virulence, sarcasm, sardonicism, satireintensity, acuteness, extremity, strength, power, violence, profundity, depth, ferocityView synonyms
- ‘Bur rather than settle down and start producing a bland composite, he retains his enthusiasm and keenness to experiment.’
- ‘Do not, in a fit of keenness, give your e-mail address to every single university society at the freshers' fair.’
- ‘At the end, I was greatly impressed by the smartness and keenness of all of them, and by the firmness and intelligence of their questions.’
- ‘When I recall my early enthusiasm and keenness and compare it with three or four years later, I see a significant difference.’
- ‘The dive leaves me with a profound respect for these beautiful creatures and a new keenness to see them in the wild.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.