Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Minced meat.
- ‘Also included are keema and peas with naan bread, vine tomato and mozzarella melt, tuna salad and chicken curry.’
- ‘I followed this with a karahai methi keema and a range of side dishes including saag paneer and brinjal bhaji which were simply sumptuous.’
- ‘Interesting and well-executed permutations of the flavourful Indian bread abound: chicken naan, keema, and garlic and spinach, my personal favourite.’
- ‘The Indian breads selection includes some rare delicacies like the Kashmiri keema naan, and the Punjabi Makai Roti.’
- ‘Last year's banquet included the following traditional desi food: Kale channa, rogan josh, keema matar, jeera murgha and Sindhi sabji, topped with zarda or sweet rice.’
- ‘To make matters worse, while they were seated thus at the cheerless table, Bibbo would come and pushing her hips out to one side declare that she was helping herself to the keema left over from dinner.’
- ‘For 16 years Ann has treated thousands of children, including her own family, to her tasty curry chicken keema.’
- ‘We tried keema nan because my friend wanted to see what white-flour bread ‘studded’ with ground beef would look like.’
- ‘Readers will remember Philip Roe's freezer mix-up, which resulted in his gin being infiltrated with keema matar.’
- ‘But the king for me was keema kaleji: lamb livers and kidneys chopped into a ragout of richly spiced minced lamb, unremittingly generous in providing the molten, offally joys of the carnivorous life.’
- ‘There are ready made pieces of chicken keema, chicken kofta, chicken liver, mutton liver, mutton chops, prawns, mutton keema, burda kapoora, mutton brain and fish marrel.’
From Hindi kīmā.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.