Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit.
- ‘Pizzas are grilled, and kebabs threaded with bread between the chunks of meat, to soak up their juices as they cook.’
- ‘Outdoors is a grill from which you can order various flame-grilled meats including kebabs, steaks and meatballs.’
- ‘It's best used when grilling kabobs, burgers, chops and steaks.’
- ‘There is a wide array of culinary choices, including pizza, kebabs, falafel, hamburgers, and Chinese cuisine.’
- ‘Important categories of dishes which have a Moghul origin include: pilaf and biriani dishes; kebabs, kormas, and koftas; tandoor dishes; samosas.’
Late 17th century: from Arabic kabāb, partly via Urdu, Persian, and Turkish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.