Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, simple musical instrument consisting of a hollow pipe with a hole in it, over which is a thin covering that vibrates and adds a buzzing sound when the player sings or hums into the pipe.
- ‘During the bridge for the latter, the MCs chimed in on kazoos to the audience's surprise and delight.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the transfer is so bad that the orchestra sounds like a bunch of kazoos.’
- ‘Summery acoustic guitars jostle with squirts of digital noise, arcing horns and what sounds like a solo played on a giant kazoo shoved through a fuzz pedal.’
- ‘For older children, you can get them involved in making the kazoos.’
- ‘For those expecting the talking kazoo he increasingly resembles these days, nearly every track reminds us of how wonderfully expressive Dylan's voice was three decades ago.’
- ‘Protesters played tambourines, shakers and kazoos.’
- ‘Our handsome kazoos are made from quality cherry wood and are inlayed with intricate specialty wood designs.’
- ‘Set up for lock grooves on three record players, Suzuki's sounds at times approximate ducks on a pond, kazoos, and Tuvan throat singers.’
- ‘Buy a kazoo or plastic harmonica for every family member for a little added accompaniment.’
- ‘There's a brief accordion intro, leading to what sounds like a kazoo lament accompanied by someone scraping a few pieces of metal and wood together.’
- ‘If I hold the end just the right way and breathe out briskly, I can make a sound just like a kazoo.’
- ‘I can play guitar, bass, drums and harmonica (also kazoo, but anyone can do’
- ‘The museum highlights history, amusing trivia, and shows step by step the way kazoos are made.’
- ‘This sampling method gives a good indication of the quality of the overall kazoo production run.’
- ‘It's the only original metal kazoo factory operating in the world.’
- ‘Accompanied by some cheap black sambucca (which was actually green), a small guitar, and three kazoos, we head to Hyde Park fountain for a few hours of pointless hysterical jamming.’
- ‘If some seem to be getting frustrated, encourage other students to teach them how to get their kazoo working.’
- ‘The company now assembles and custom-stamps its kazoos on Industrial Avenue in Port Richey.’
- ‘It also needs to have work done to make sure the orchestra doesn't sound like a bunch of kazoos.’
- ‘Notice how the the kazoo buzzes and vibrates to amplify (make louder) the sound of your voice.’
Late 19th century: apparently imitative of the sound produced.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.