Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an indigenous people of Sarawak and Borneo.
- ‘The Kayans are perhaps less aggressive than any other of the interior peoples with the exception of the Punans.’
- ‘The other Dayak groups, especially the Kayans and Penans, have maintained their ancient customs, habits, and religious beliefs to a much greater extent.’
- ‘Everybody got drunk on tuak and had a great time, though the Kayans never caught any fish.’
- ‘In the village I saw the Kayans singing songs and playing musical instruments to get money from the tourists.’
- ‘There is a disciplinary board with elder Kayans acting as advisers since they are well versed in customary law.’
2mass noun The Indonesian language of the Kayan.
- ‘Kenyah and Kayan are closely related Austronesian languages.’
- ‘Consider the following systems from two western Malayo-Polynesian languages spoken within a few hundred miles of each other: Kayan, spoken in central Borneo; and Kimaragang Dusun, spoken in northeastern Borneo.’
Relating to the Kayan or their language.
- ‘As with early processes of conversion, the decision to cease making rice wine seems to have been taken on a community basis at some Kayan villages.’
- ‘This paper is based on field research in the mid-1990s in a remote upriver Kayan community on the Baram River in Sarawak, East Malaysia.’
- ‘Patterns of consumption do vary, however, including between Kayan communities themselves.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the feeling that moral dangers attend the habit of smoking is real enough and the censure that accrues to the practice is a deterrent to most young Kayan women.’
- ‘Combined with driving large timber trucks, these things define a certain kind of dash among young Kayan men.’
The name in Kayan.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.