One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An ornamental East Asian tree which has leaves that resemble those of the Judas tree and light, fine-grained timber.
- ‘At the northwest side of the Japanese garden is an immense katsura tree covered with heart-shaped leaves.’
- ‘At the rear of the property, a pond is formed by raised beds filled with white azaleas, a katsura tree, rhododendrons, a tree fern, a tall viburnum, and other shade-loving plants.’
- ‘For the blocks only wood from cherry, magnolia and katsura trees is used.’
- ‘Two katsuras are located within 10 feet of each other.’
- ‘Kaisaniemi Garden has some of the largest sycamores, Manchurian maples, American limes, cork trees, and katsuras in Finland.’
2A type of Japanese wig worn mainly by women.
- ‘Katsura wigs are not worn directly over the hair, traditionally.’
- ‘The katsura is worn for wedding ceremonies and traditional Japanese dancing and stage performances.’
Early 20th century: from Japanese.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.