Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dried fish prepared in hard blocks from skipjack tuna and used in Japanese cooking.
- ‘Skim as much katsuobushi as possible from top of pot; remove from heat and strain through colander lined with cheesecloth.’
- ‘Let the katsuobushi settle to the bottom for 2 minutes.’
- ‘Try to remove the katsuobushi while it's still floating on the surface, before it has a chance to sink.’
- ‘In a saucepan add a small amount of water, katsuobushi, shiitake mushroom or niboshi (dried sardines).’
- ‘Just before the water boils, add the katsuobushi flakes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.