One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, single-edged sword used by Japanese samurai.
- ‘It was a pair of matching katanas, one edged swords sheathed in rusted hold sheathing with red ribbon tied around the hilt that dangled to the side.’
- ‘Daggers en suite with wakizashis and katanas were accorded the same care in their manufacture and decoration as their companion swords.’
- ‘Two warriors, clad in back, holding unsheathed katanas, silently approached each other in the forest.’
- ‘The katana became a dangerous weapon when he wielded it as fast and expertly as he did.’
- ‘Hung on the walls were swords of every kind: kodachis, katanas, fencing swords, even the heavy and antique broadswords.’
Early 17th century: Japanese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.