One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A system of individual training exercises in karate and other martial arts.
- ‘In addition to matches, this system of sport aikido includes kata competition.’
- ‘Thus, in most styles of aikido, kata as a set of prearranged techniques is not used as the primary training method.’
- ‘The key to understanding karate is kata, and key to understanding kata is bunkai.’
- ‘Meanwhile, they are learning basic karate fundamentals and kata which improves posture and breath control.’
- ‘Simply put, kata is a set of prearranged choreographed judo techniques.’
- 1.1count noun An individual training exercise in karate and other martial arts.
- ‘If you learn only the names of techniques and kata, then you would cling to them and lose sight of their true meaning.’
- ‘We must understand the essence of kata, not their outer appearance.’
- ‘The number of kata, many of which have several personal variations, is quite large.’
- ‘The Kodokan preserved the techniques of this kata from early jujutsu training methods.’
- ‘We use most of the traditional kata that span all the Japanese karate systems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.