One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Kashmir, its people, or their language.
- ‘‘I was taken in as assistant director and my job was to supervise the language and the diction in the film which had a Kashmiri background,’ he says.’
- ‘The Kashmiri language has never been the medium of instruction here, except during Sheikh Abdullah's first tenure as Chief Minister, 1947-1953.’
- ‘Starting with a simple, traditional Kashmiri shawl, the curator moved to the increasingly ornate ones turned out by Jacquard looms in the 18th and 19th Centuries.’
- ‘Their contact was part of the BBC's initiative to bring together six divided Kashmiri families through live video-conferences in Srinagar and Muzaffarabad.’
- ‘Origin of Kashmiri language has been a topic of debate among linguists and scholars for a long period of time.’
1A native or inhabitant of Kashmir.
- ‘Thousands of Kashmiris live in Rochdale and many are waiting to hear if relatives and friends survived Saturday's disaster.’
- ‘Now, the Lashkar's ranks have just a few Pashtuns and even fewer Kashmiris.’
- ‘He also urged Kashmiris living abroad to invest in Kashmir, as the government had launched many incentives for investors.’
- ‘They have nothing to do with the aspirations of the Kashmiris or the Afghans.’
- ‘It has been said that Kashmir is a land of milk and honey, and it is true that Kashmiris enjoy both, sometimes adding to milk or yoghurt a sprinkling of saffron.’
2mass noun An Indic language spoken in Kashmir, written in both Devanagari and Arabic script.
- ‘Local people said they were wearing Pakistani dress, had full beards, turbans and long hair, and didn't understand Kashmiri or Urdu.’
- ‘There are few Kashmiri speaking people living in this tract.’
- ‘The script for the performance was in Hindi, Kashmiri and English, flowing from one language to the other smoothly and with ease.’
- ‘A few did not understand any other language than Kashmiri and Gogri.’
- ‘Among them, Naseem Shafai, 49, made her mark; she is the first woman poet who started writing in Kashmiri.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.