One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Landscape underlain by limestone which has been eroded by dissolution, producing ridges, towers, fissures, sinkholes and other characteristic landforms.count noun ‘it was strange country, broken into hummocks and karsts and mesas’‘parts of the karst are barren and treeless’‘volcanic topography superficially resembling true karst’
- ‘All of these were vertical shaft caves or caves with steeply sloped entrances located in the limestone-dolostone karst of the Valley and Ridge physiographic province.’
- ‘The sequence overlies Upper Triassic to Upper Cretaceous rocks and locally covers Palaeogene karst bauxite deposits.’
- ‘The underlying limestone karst topography allows water to flow in abundant underground rivers, feeding the numerous springs, which flow into the many creeks and streams.’
- ‘Subsidence sinkholes are diagnostic landforms of karst, which form in unconsolidated soils or drift deposits overlying cavernous limestone.’
- ‘The road in Guangxi is relatively good, with at least two paved lanes; the route is quite scenic, with typical karst landscape all along the way.’
Late 19th century: from German der Karst, the name of a limestone region in Slovenia.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.