One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rug or blanket of sewn animal skins, formerly worn as a garment by African people, now used as a bed or floor covering.
rug, runner, carpet, druggetView synonyms
- ‘Round karosses, pouffes, shields and decorative wall piece skins are among the specialties that we stock.’
- ‘Blankets almost completely displaced hides or karosses by the end of the nineteenth century and were in some communities giving way to Western-style clothes.’
- ‘One the other hand, the use of the leopard kaross is one of the oldest traditions known to the Basotho.’
- ‘But they didn't wear bloomers, and they only put their karosses around their shoulders when it was cold.’
- ‘Note that the men are preparing karosses or sniffing snuff while they talk and listen to music.’
South African Dutch, from Khoikhoi karos.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.