One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in parts of central southern Asia) a qanat.
- ‘In some areas, the karez is a vital link between the communities and the dams built by the government.’
- ‘During the Soviet invasion, mojahedin camped in the karez network besieged the town of Khost for almost 10 years.’
- ‘It is worth buying a bottle of the locally made wine, at 3 yuan a bottle, and taking it on a visit to the karez wells.’
- ‘All of this natural phenomena is also called karez by the inhabitants of Balochistan.’
- ‘Sources of water, such as the mountain streams or the underground karez channels, could dry up earlier in 2004 than they did last year.’
- ‘Possible methods for improving karez performance and needs for research are discussed.’
Pashto, from Persian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.