(in parts of central southern Asia) a qanat.
- ‘Sources of water, such as the mountain streams or the underground karez channels, could dry up earlier in 2004 than they did last year.’
- ‘Possible methods for improving karez performance and needs for research are discussed.’
- ‘It is worth buying a bottle of the locally made wine, at 3 yuan a bottle, and taking it on a visit to the karez wells.’
- ‘All of this natural phenomena is also called karez by the inhabitants of Balochistan.’
- ‘During the Soviet invasion, mojahedin camped in the karez network besieged the town of Khost for almost 10 years.’
- ‘In some areas, the karez is a vital link between the communities and the dams built by the government.’
Pashto, from Persian.