One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A practitioner of karate.
- ‘However, most boxers and karatekas are not concerned with pulling the opponent, they are more interested in striking him.’
- ‘But are we really training to be able to defeat a championship karateka, a professional boxer, or an Olympic wrestler?’
- ‘These obi weren't the belts karateka and judoka wear today - Kano hadn't invented the judogi yet, and his students were still practicing in kimono.’
- ‘Some argue that the physical interpretation of the solution by the karateka or judoka is repugnant and that that of the aikidoka is beautiful.’
- ‘The Indonesian karatekas won another two silvers and three bronzes in Bangkok from eight events.’
- ‘ZKF general secretary Moodley Chola said a 10-member squad was to be picked for the continental games and urged all karatekas to take the selection seriously if they were to make it to Nigeria.’
- ‘He was a superb karateka and could switch techniques during sparring.’
- ‘It is for judoists, karateka, archers, kendo-fencers and track-and-fielders who work out every day at dawn in the open or in gyms with windows wide open, taking ice-cold showers afterward.’
- ‘The teachers who were teaching marines were judoka or karateka.’
- ‘The group consisted mainly of aikibudoka but karateka, judoka and jiu-jitsuka also participated.’
- ‘As a karateka he was known for his awesome strength, but also for his intuition - the ability to sense an attack and destroy it before it fully developed.’
- ‘And while he influenced many karateka in Japan, he never developed a large karate organization around his teaching as did Funakoshi.’
- ‘TWENTY-five karatekas at the weekend graduated to different levels of the Zambia Karate Federation during the grading tournament held at Edwin Imboela stadium in Lusaka.’
- ‘Fourteen Zambian karatekas have been upgraded, two have been honoured while four other budding stars were showered with medals during a one week workshop which finished yesterday at Lusaka's Chrisma Hotel.’
- ‘There are many karateka who are healthy and live long.’
- ‘Standing face-to-face with an expert karateka like Ushiro Sensei was an enlightening and humbling experience.’
- ‘The motor fitness of judoists and karateka was evaluated by means of the Leuven Motor Test Battery.’
- ‘The federation also sent 11 men karatekas for training sessions with three karate schools.’
- ‘Naturally all the karateka shouted and waved back.’
- ‘The Federation will also be holding a series of camps and seminars in an effort to instruct karatekas concerning the World Karate Federation rules and regulations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.