One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people living in the Karakalpak autonomous republic of Russia, south of the Aral Sea.
- ‘The Karakalpaks, who live in the desert south of the Aral Sea, have a separate language and tradition more akin to Kazakh than Uzbek.’
- ‘The next step was to assemble some 40 international musicians and set up a plan that would bring the unfamiliar music of Afghans, Karakalpaks, Kazakhs, Turkmens, and other Silk Road cultures to audiences everywhere.’
- ‘These examples show that the princes on the throne of Kiev were obliged to get on well with Karakalpaks.’
- ‘Dating is rare among the Karakalpaks, except for those living in large cities such as Nukus.’
- ‘Before the Russian Revolution of 1917, the Karakalpaks were a loose alliance of semi-nomadic tribes.’
- ‘In Uzbekistan, the principal weavers are Uzbeks, Kirgyz, Arabs, Karakalpaks and some Turkmen.’
2mass noun The Turkic language of the Karakalpaks, with about 300,000 speakers.
- ‘Karakalpak is spoken mainly in the Karakalpakstan Autonomous Republic of Uzbekistan.’
- ‘Even an entry in one of the country's minority languages Karakalpak, spoken in the far west near the decaying Aral Sea was a victor one month.’
Relating to the Karakalpaks or their language.
- ‘Newspapers, magazines, and books are printed in the Karakalpak language.’
- ‘Not surprisingly it has become the centre piece of a whole branch of Karakalpak culture and folk lore.’
- ‘The Karakalpak tribes have not taken up arms since the Basmachi revolts on their territory in 1918-1920.’
- ‘The Shamuratovs' House-museum represents the Karakalpak culture of the period when common working people and public masses were involved in creating their culture.’
- ‘The ancient headdress of Karakalpak women in a form of a helmet - saukele was put over kiymeshek.’
- ‘A similar picture prevails in the Karakalpak part of the Aral Sea basin, where the Muinak fish cannery continues to operate on imported ocean fish of low grade.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.