One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bowl-shaped frying pan with two handles used in Indian cooking, chiefly for balti dishes.
saucepan, frying pan, pot, casserole, wok, skillet, bain-marie, fish kettle, pressure cooker, poacher, chafing dishView synonyms
- ‘Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai and fry the onion paste to a light brown.’
- ‘Huge stoves along one wall hold equally massive iron kadais with oil to fry the murrukus.’
- ‘To prepare the rabadi, boil half the milk in an iron kadai.’
- ‘Heat the remaining oil and ghee in a casserole dish, or a kadai.’
- ‘Heat oil in a kadai and drop tablespoons of this batter.’
- ‘Heat the butter in a kadai and fry the onion paste to golden brown.’
- ‘For frying vada, poori and appalam, iron kadais, non-stick kadais and hindalium kadais are suitable.’
- ‘Shake the kadai and mix all ingredients together.’
- ‘Heat oil in a kadai; fry the spinach, fenugreek and carrot.’
- ‘Heat the oil in a kadai and deep fry the puris one at a time and serve hot.’
- ‘Winners of the weekly draws will walk away with pressure cookers, ‘kadais’ and frying pans.’
- ‘Wander onto East Mada and watch folk dances and street theatre while golden-brown chilli bhajis sizzle in a kadai nearby.’
- ‘Heat the oil in a kadai and deep fry the macaroni in teaspoonfuls till a golden brown.’
- ‘A kilo of Amul (the best) butter is slapped onto a sizzling hot kadai (a thick flattened wok) to which a pile of chopped fresh vegetables is added and reduced down to brown mulch.’
- ‘To serve, spoon into bowls or, if you have them, karahis and serve with plenty of naan.’
- ‘A new set of non-stick cookware is a boon for any housewife as it means a goodbye to all those grease-stained kadais and pans stuck with food deposits.’
- ‘So look after all your tawas and kadais and use them regularly.’
- ‘Karahi stands allow the food service to be orderly as the karahis fit straight into the stand which can rotate.’
- ‘Heat oil in a kadai and, with a wet hand, drop small balls of the paste into it.’
- ‘These are stainless steel kadais with a copper base.’
From Hindi karāhī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.