One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people living mainly in north-western Zambia.
- ‘The creature was described by the Kaonde of old as a huge red lizard with membranous wings like a bat spreading five or more feet, and with teeth in its huge beak.’
- ‘The Kaonde are primarily cultivators, but with a strong hunting tradition.’
- ‘Major tribes are the Tonga in the S; the Kaonde in the NW; and the Bemba, Bisa, and Lala in the NE.’
- ‘Their language is indeed called Chikaonde at times -- but generally not by the Kaondes themselves.’
2mass noun The Bantu language of the Kaonde, with around 200,000 speakers.
- ‘Available in English, Nyanja, Bemba, Lozi, Tonga, Luvale, Kaonde, and Lunda.’
- ‘We were taught Bemba, Nyanja, Kaonde, Lozi, the customs of our communities, the dances, the technology for agriculture that contributed to self reliance.’
- ‘The website will therefore contain information in all the official languages of Zambia, namely, Bemba, Nyanja, Tonga, Lozi, Kaonde, Luvale, Lunda and English.’
- ‘There are seven major vernacular languages which include: Luvale, Lunda, Bemba, Lozi, Kaonde, Tonga and Nyanja.’
- ‘The papers - Imbila, a Bemba production, Ngoma in Lunda, Luvale and Kaonde, Intanda in Tonga, Lukanga in Lenje and Liseli in Lozi and Tsopano in Nyanja - should help fill the information gap in rural areas.’
Relating to the Kaonde or their language.
- ‘Senior Chief Kasempa of the Kaonde people is also happy with Government efforts to reduce poverty levels in the province through infrastructure development and provision of social services.’
- ‘Oliya Band had a passion for the promotion of the Kaonde, the Lamba and the Bemba traditional norms and culture through music.’
- ‘He and his wife went to the Kaonde people to introduce Christ as a Savior to those that would listen.’
- ‘In May, the Kaonde tribe of north-western Zambia celebrate the royal ceremony of Kufukwila.’
- ‘Recollectively, in the 1940-60s, the mining companies drew their employees chiefly from such impassive ethnics as Bemba, Lala, Ngoni, Namwanga, Mambwe, and later from the Kaonde tribe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.