Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A white or grey clay mineral which is the chief constituent of kaolin.
- ‘These include clay minerals such as kaolinite and talc, micas, montmorillonites, and the remainder of the asbestos minerals including chrysotile (white asbestos).’
- ‘Vein minerals are barite, calcite, chalcopyrite, kaolinite, pyrite, sphalerite, and wurtzite.’
- ‘In this case the surrounding sediment matrix is dominated by detrital quartz and illite along with various other clay minerals (e.g. kaolinite and chlorite).’
- ‘Sandstones with this component contain authigenic hematite intergrown with kaolinite and illite and replacing muscovite.’
- ‘In the presence of kaolinite and illite, aggregate sizes were smaller and sinking rates lower than in the presence of smectite and quartz.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.