One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long white cotton or linen robe worn by East African men.
cloak, wrap, mantle, cape, kaftanView synonyms
- ‘On special occasions Muslim men wear flowing white robes called kanzus.’
- ‘Recently, I wore a kanzu with the intention to break stereotypes and traditions among society.’
- ‘In rural regions, Muslim men usually wear a long embroidered cotton gown, called a kanzu, with a matching skull cap.’
- ‘Baganda men frequently wear a kanzu (long white robe).’
- ‘The kanzu in Kenya is associated with Swahili culture, and most wearers of the kanzu in Kenya are Muslims.’
Early 20th century: from Kiswahili.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.