Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long white cotton or linen robe worn by East African men.
cloak, wrap, mantle, cape, kaftanView synonyms
- ‘Baganda men frequently wear a kanzu (long white robe).’
- ‘In rural regions, Muslim men usually wear a long embroidered cotton gown, called a kanzu, with a matching skull cap.’
- ‘On special occasions Muslim men wear flowing white robes called kanzus.’
- ‘Recently, I wore a kanzu with the intention to break stereotypes and traditions among society.’
- ‘The kanzu in Kenya is associated with Swahili culture, and most wearers of the kanzu in Kenya are Muslims.’
Early 20th century: from Kiswahili.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.