One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Japanese manufacturing system in which the supply of components is regulated through the use of an instruction card sent along the production line.
- ‘Eiji and Ohno came up with the kanban system of labeling, an early precursor to bar codes, to keep the flow of parts smooth.’
- ‘In short, this is automated ‘pull’ capabilities leading toward real-time vendor managed inventory and kanban processing.’
- ‘In the electronic kanban system Mathis decided to move to, the inventory database would go online.’
- ‘Buyers must know that their suppliers can hit delivery windows in this age of just-in-time and kanban manufacturing, and rely on them to maintain quality and manufacturing capacity.’
- ‘This helps in implementing kanban internally and helps supply chain partners see the consumption of inventory, shipments, and on-order inventory against actual production.’
- 1.1count noun An instruction card used in a kanban system.
- ‘Participants will learn how to develop and deploy kanbans for real-time shop floor production scheduling and inventory management.’
- ‘The inventory database would become more important, since the data printed on the kanban cards was being reduced to a bar-code label.’
- ‘Engineers are particularly likely to latch on to tools like kanban, heijunka, and jidoka, and think they have captured the essence of TPS.’
- ‘When a stock of components or raw materials reaches a certain level of depletion - when a kanban is emptied - a signal is passed back down the manufacturing flow to build or order more parts.’
- ‘Continue to allocate kanbans to the highest valued cell using the same conventions as above.’
- ‘Furthermore, there is no room in the plant to stockpile bodies (or completed cars for that matter), just a marked off area in front of the loading dock that acts as a kanban; it holds only enough bodies to fill the next trailer.’
- ‘Kanbans also work where components are the same or similar and can be replenished by kanbans.’
- ‘When the kanbans are full, the preceding operation stops producing until a kanban space is once again available.’
1970s: Japanese, literally ‘billboard, sign’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.