Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in Hawaii) a pig baked underground in an imu until the meat is very tender.‘two kalua pigs are usually prepared for each luau’
- ‘When I wasn’t in the water, I was grilling or barbecuing—mostly with my Dad, who cooked kalua pigs at luaus.’
- ‘Watch (and feast on) kalua pigs dug out of the imu, enjoy fire knife dancers and take in the tastes and music of all Polynesia.’
- ‘The kalua pig is usually the centerpiece of a Hawaiian luau.’
- ‘Imus are used to prepare kalua pigs for luaus or other large gatherings.’
- ‘An earthen oven called an imu is used to expertly roast kalua pigs, the most popular lu'au food.’
- 1.1mass noun The meat of a kalua pig, or pork cooked in a manner intended to resemble this, typically pulled apart into small pieces for serving.‘the taro farmers fed us kalua pig’‘try classic Hawaiian-style kalua pork’
- ‘While its famous thick and juicy hamburgers remain a menu highlight, other items also win praise, like ahi katsu, shrimp tempura, laulau, poi, rice, macaroni salad, lomi salmon and kalua pig.’
- ‘Here, a group of women dance a traditional hula on stage, while the crowd enjoys native dishes such as lomi lomi salmon and kalua pig.’
- ‘I ordered Hawaiian-style eggs Benedict: poached eggs on savory kalua pig and taro hash.’
- ‘Try the wickedly delicious steamed Opakapaka (pink snapper) laulau and shredded kalua pig wrapped in taro pancake.’
- ‘Hungry for the kalua pork he grew up eating in Hawaii, Gary developed an easier and quicker version.’
- ‘Small Hawaiian food eateries offer easy-to-try mini-dishes of roasted kalua pig and poi, sweet potatoes, squid lu'au, and steamed fish.’
From Hawaiian kālua, literally ‘baked in an underground oven’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.