One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of African thumb piano.
- ‘His music is an accessible blend of African drums, mouth harp, flute, kalimba, kora and several other instruments.’
- ‘The variety of assembled instruments included a sitar, a penny whistle, a few accordions, a Celtic and a Mexican harp, an African kalimba and a Chinese dizi.’
- ‘Painted in rather garish hot pink and viridian green, the cluster includes a tortoise shell, a bass and trombone from a mariachi band, a gourd kalimba, a shark's jaw and a horse's tail.’
- ‘Like the chiming of the kalimba or the pulse of countless hearts in the belly of a ship, Weatherford's music recounts the rhythm's journey and evolution to an original American musical art form.’
- ‘However elements that might sound cloying or annoying in other hands - decorative kalimba, guest vocals, over-tasteful mixing - are held in check by the leader, whose own soloing has an admirable edge.’
1950s: a local word; related to marimba.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.